As for my fasting, here is an update. I am officially finished with my social media fast, my take aways are as follows:
- I will invite friends personally to important things, a FB invite is not enough, unless it is in a group in which this is the primary means of organization and planning.
- If I am not on FB I am going to miss some things, like family pictures and updates about people’s lives, I now understand why people have small friends lists with just the important people.
- I will probably always have a FB, it seems that is the new and improved yellow pages, it’s bulky, heavy, and stacks up in the corners of our living places, but we need them, and it might come in handy some holiday and serve as a booster seat for small friends…or not.
- I am going to use FB for networking and other needs but will keep the trolling to specific times set aside for only when I feel like burning time is appropriate.
- I don’t think I am going to post much other than my Instagram photo’s for now.
- I love living without my hourly FB fix. The results were tangible. I have many ideas why this might be the case. I might elaborate another time.
- I don’t miss the political posts.
I will elaborate on a few of the above, take for example, political posts. The jolly little memes and sentiments that people like to share because they are passive aggressivee care about you and want you to be informed. I’m not trying to judge, even I on occasion, have been known to share such information, but honestly, the state of this situation is reminiscent of a virtual civil war. We remove people and hide people, loved ones and neighbors, all in the name of being right. It’s ridiculous, and FB is not the place to debate the issues of the world in the form of a scathingly witty meme. No, I don’t agree with anything you posted about such and such, and I am not taking the bait, anymore. Why? Because I won’t see it. That feels good.
Burning time. When are any of us ever in the position to burn time? Like money, time is precious but even more so. Time is the currency of life, the ticket to the journey, our vessel to ride, thus time is to be guarded and kept in secret places, not left on the altar of idleness. Time is humankinds greatest resource, the lens of every memory we’ve made and will every make, I’ve learned in the past 21 days that I must protect and defend it with all that I am. At forty-three years old I am gripped with the reality of how precious time is, and I won’t spend it trolling on FB, there’s so much more to be done. I can read a book, take a walk, brush my daughter’s hair, write a poem, say a prayer, try a new recipe, call a friend, or play a game with my family. Not an exhaustive list by the way.
Quick update on the Daniel Fast, I am still going strong. I am trying to finish out the full 21 days, I started the daniel fast specifically on January 7, today is day 19. I love this fast. I cannot say enough positive about it. I love eating this way, I don’t miss meat, and I have changed, for the better. My taste buds, for lack of a better word have completely come alive. True story, I once watched a young healthy girl eat a salad she had packed, as we all sat around and ate the lunches we made, I thought to myself, awe, poor thing, she eats that food pretending that she likes it just to be skinny. How sad. Again, true story. I really believed that. The whole concept of frankinfood is real, the overly processed food has numbed our tastes to the beauty of real food. Today I threw together a quick salad with a few veggies and some romaine lettuce, I topped with some all natural Newman’s Own Olive Oil dressing, something quick to take the edge off. I was delighted with the results and then I realized, she wasn’t pretending, I’ve changed.
I am off the nicotine, pray God, forever.
I still miss coffee and look forward to our future together, although I will be starting my mornings with green tea when the fast is complete. We will rendezvous again.
Sugar. You are made for momentary delights and you spoil me for things like simple, whole, easy, God-given nutrition, I will limit you in my life, again, pray God.